Sunday, January 27, 2008

Seitan, Seitan, How I do love thee...

I worship at the alter of Seitan. I am officially a Seitan worshipper. Though I've been some form or another of vegan/vegetarian since I was eight years old I had never tried Seitan until this week. Wheat gluten? Seriously? That's supposed to be good?

I picked up a few vegan cookbooks last week to aid in my culinary journey and so many of the recipes I wanted to try feature Seitan, so I finally broke down and bought some to try. I first tried it in a mushroom and spinach dish that was absolutely delicious! So last night, when I returned home at 10pm to find a starving husband I knew my new friend Seitan would get us out of the pinch.

As I mentioned, I hadn't really been cooking vegan on my own yet-- just sticking to tried and true recipes until I got the hang of it. Last night I was excited to come up with my own dish, and I think it turned out really well. Ian & I loved it.

It feels like it has a bit of French/Vietnamese flavor to it-- but I haven't thought of a cute name for it yet...

Photobucket

It took no more then 15 minutes from stove to table and it was delicious, I hope people try it out!

On to the recipe, I wasn't measuring anything while cooking last night so these are rough guesses on amounts, but they should hold pretty true.

1 tablespoon Sesame Oil (I'm sure olive oil would work fine too)
1/2 a sweet yellow onion thickly cut
1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms (which my husband the mycologist says are the same as baby portabella's as far as he knows)
1 package Original flavored Seitan, sliced
1/4 cup white rice wine (I'm sure "real" white wine would be good too, but I don't drink it so I never have it in the house)
1 tablespoon Earth Balance buttery spread

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over Medium heat. When the oil is viscous (smoothed and thinned out) add the onion. Allow the onion to soften up in the oil (about 3-5 minutes). Add the mushrooms and Seitan and combine well with the onion. Add the rice wine and turn down heat to medium low. Allow to simmer for a few minutes and stir in the buttery spread. Allow to simmer with lid off for about 5 minutes until everything is heated through.

Photobucket

Truly delicious!

I leave you now with a picture of my husband, excited about the snow and a picture of Lylah our mini- dachshund who is entirely unimpressed by the snow.

Photobucket

vs.

Photobucket

2 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I do not have VCTOTW, but I have wondered what a vegan cupcake tastes like. Would you mind maybe e-mailing me some of your faves from the book??

Thanks :)

howtoeatacupcake@yahoo.com

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I'm a seitan lover as well & it wasn't until I started making vegan food that I tried it! (I was also veg for a long time.) There's so many great recipes out there, I'm loving the super easy steamed sausages from Everyday Dish: http://www.everydaydish.tv/Recipe%20Pages/Spicy_Italian_Vegetarian_Sausage.html