Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Long Live the SCONE...

We have a new obsession in my house, the scone. My husband never liked scones much, he always thought those dry and crumbly messes served in most chain coffee shops (*cough, starbucks, cough*) were scones... they're not. I think those are better used as door stops...

Anyway, we have this great little tea shop with the best scones and incredible clotted cream just down the street. I was craving these scones, seriously homicidally craving them. Instead of breaking my veganism I decided to make my own scones and clotted cream! I used this eggless scone recipe, subbing Silk Hazelnut creamer for the heavy cream and Earth Balance for the butter. I used chopped hazelnuts I had around the house and drizzled it in dark chocolate ganache. They were incredible, I've made four different batches since (because they're incredibly easy to make) with dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, and mixtures of them all.

The vegan clotted cream was delish and totally quenched my craving. I merely mixed equal parts Earth Balance with Better Than Cream Cheese, 1/2 as much Soy Creamer, a splash of vanilla, and 1/2 as much confectionary sugar (meaning if I used 2 tablespoons of earth balance, I'd use 1 tablespoon sugar).

In non-sweet related treats my best friend requested a BBQ Tempeh Recipie. He was unfamilar with the wonderful world of Tempeh until his recent trip to Sundance (yes I can brag on him 'cuz he's my bff).

So here is my Scottie-Boom-Bottie BBQ Tempeh recipe:
1 8 oz package Tempeh
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup prepared BBQ Sauce ('cuz I know he wouldn't ever make it from scrach)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Tamiri
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice (the stuff from that little plasic lemon is fine, but fresh is better!)
2 (or more) cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Bring a medium sauce pan of water to a boil.

Wisk all sauce ingredients (everything but the tempeh) together. Taste it. If you want more of something, put it in-- like more BBQ perhaps because we all know (well I know) Scottie is a sauce freak.

Cut the tempeh in half. Then cut the squares into two triangles. When the water has reached a boil put Tempeh in for about 10 minutes.

Drain excess water from Tempeh and place in BBQ Sauce mixture-- coating well. Put Tempeh on a cookie sheet and pour a few tablespoons of sauce over the top. Broil (on high) for 5 minutes. Flip and pour some sauce over the new top. Broil for 5 minutes-- spoon some more sauce on top and give it another 30 seconds to a minute under the broiler.

Serve it with salad or soup. Something like this:


In life related news I just got back from a pre-interview at a local bakery. They seem super interested, and super excited that I had brought cupcakes and scones in when I dropped off my resume. I am nervously awaiting a call and I can't think of much else... eeeek.

So until then, and to waste a bit more time, here I am with Scott, of the Scottie-Boom-Bottie BBQ Tempeh Recipe when we were like 18 and only used the George Forman to make veggie burgers and the like
and now from my wedding after party

7 comments:

Sissy said...

yay for possible job sissy!

PS - Scotty's hair?!? When did he have a jew-fro?

shannie cakes said...

omg. you dont remember the days of the jew fro? it was like the first 6-8 months that i knew him (well he started growing it when we met) and when he cut it his mom and i both cried... c'mon now you have to remember...

Nate Deezy said...

Whoa, congrats on the interview. I hope for good things!

SCOTT said...

Good BBQ
http://scottu.com/photos/food/bbqtempeh.jpg

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I've never had a scone! I'm a bit scared of them, I think!

Holly said...

Those scones sound amazzzinnngg! I always get hungry at work reading your blog.... :)

PS- Dream job interview? Let me know how it goes!

shannie cakes said...

melisser: scones aren't scary. they're SUPER EASY. seriously 30 minutes, including cooking time. just don't over work the dough (meaning if it was a little crumbly... not completely worked in flour, it's fine).

holly: i got it (:. details to come!