Sunday, March 30, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend...

At least I am. Now that I'm working two jobs I find myself counting down to the weekends. Time to relax with my family, read a good book... and of course my favorite part of any weekend? Brunch.

Ian & I tend to do brunch at least once a weekend. We may go down to Sunnyside (the cafe I bake for) or just eat scones in our pj's at home, but brunch is definitely something we love. This weekend marked our "three monthaversary" and it's the weekend before Ian turns a quater century old so I decided to go all out and make French Toast & Tempeh "Bacon". We loved it so much on saturday that I replicated it on Sunday. It may become a weekend tradition.
I modified the recipie for "Fronch Toast" in the Vegan with a Vengeance Cook Book, the smoked tempeh bacon is the exact recipe from the book, and the basic staple recipe I've seen just about every where for tempeh bacon.

I remembered French Toast as a child having vanilla & cinnamon/sugar. Which are omitted from the VWV recipe. I am one of the rare birds out there who absolutely hates cinnamon. I hate the way it smells, and certainly the way it tastes-- so I left out cinnamon in my peices of toast, though I did sprinkle a bit in my husbands batch.

On to the recipe....
A Loaf of Italian of French Bread, stale (Saturday we made it with stale bread, Sunday I used fresh there was really no difference in flavor or texture to be honest)
1/2 cup soy creamer (which we didn't have so I just used soy milk)
1/2 cup rice milk (which we didn't have so I just used soy milk)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup chickpea flour (I only have chickpea and fava mixed flour so I used that and there was no problem)
3 teaspoons vanilla (my addition)
1 cup sugar sprinkled with a teaspoon (or two) of cinnamon (my addition)

Slice the bread into 1" rounds. Pour the soy milk (or creamer/rice milk) into a wide shallow bowl. Mix in the corn starch and stir until fully dissolved. Add the chickpea flour and stir until dissolved. Add vanilla extract.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough oil (we used seasame oil) to create a thin layer on the bottom of the skillet. Soak the bread slices in the soymilk mixture, toss in the cinnamon sugar and transfer to the skillet. Cook each side for about 2 minutes. They should be light brown with dark flecks of brown.

I slathered on a little earth balance and served immediately. Delish.

In other news, Ian & I have found a new obsession. Coconut Bliss "ice cream". It is vegan. It is gluten free. It is soy free. It is organic. It has NO SUGAR. It has FOUR INGREDIENTS. It is in a word... incredible. Unfortunately it's a small local company from Eugene OR. so their distribution is limited to Northern California and Oregon. But if you're in those areas it is SO WORTH hunting down and divoring. Honestly, it's better then high end "real" ice cream. We tried the cappucino flavor and were floored. There was a LIGHT hint of coconut (since it's made from coconut milk) but nothing over powering, just gave the coffee flavor of the ice cream a bit more depth. It was deliciously creamy. It's of course high in fat and calories... but supposedly coconut fat is that "good for you" fat (and I don't care, this stuff is good for my morale). And they don't use sugar! It's Agave.

I finally got my two pound sample of Treeze which everyone has been salivating over. I'm going to try it in a "cheese" soup... see if it really stands up to the melt test.

Ian's birthday is Weds, so we're having a picnic themed birthday party (not enough chairs to seat guests? no problems, make it picnic themed!). We have all kinds of guests coming... a glueten free vegan, a freegan, and my favorite New Zealander who just doesn't get the whole "no meat" concept. It shall be a grand meal. I'm making rainbow cakes! So I will post about that soon!

Until then, here is the husband and I enjoying our favorite American brewery, Rogue.
That's me feeling like a complete dope for doing the Rogue brewery's iconic fist. Ian made me do it!
They had Dachshund on the menu... as an owner of a Dachshund I do not approve (though is is kind of cute they called them "Haute Dogs").

I made Ian do the fist (:

2 comments:

Jade Is Green! said...

Oh man, you had a New Zealander coming. You should have made them bring Jaffas! haha

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Thanks for the link to the pear recipe at Cupcake Blog. I hope the Intense Pear wins because I really wanna use your idea!

Even if it doesn't win, I'll do it anyway because I know I'll never do anything else with that chocolate bar!