Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm alive! I promise!

I have been such a bad blogger lately! My husband was sick for over a week... and then I of course caught it, thankfully my cold wasn't nearly as bad and didn't stick around as long. But there's my excuse! I did make one of my specialties while Ian was sick, so I thought I'd share it here. It's a perfect use for that week old chinese take out rice still in your fridge (though I'm pretty sure our rice was more then a week old, oops!). I start by spraying a small sauce pan with cooking spray and warming the rice to get it back in "rice" shape instead of shaped like a box. I like to burn a few kernals of rice a bit to give it some crunch. Then I add a cup of vegetable broth, we use a powdered broth that you add water to so it's always on hand. These powdered broths can tend to be a bit bland so I added about a teaspoon of garlic salt and some red pepper flakes to the pot as well. The amount of broth should just thicken with the rice, meaning there shouldn't be more broth then rice. I allow that to warm a bit and then add a cup of soy milk (I actually used hemp milk because we had a little bit left and I knew I wouldn't use it in anything else). At this point there should be a "soupy" but thick texture to the dish, add more vegetable broth if desired. The soy milk gives the dish a nice creamy flavor but don't over do it for fear it will come out too sweet or "beany" tasting.

When we use broccoli I always save the stems to use, as well as any bits of carrots I happen to not need in any particular recipe (usually I just get sick of chopping carrots at some point so I save the other bits for a rainy day). So I did a coarse chop on these bits and pieces as well as some mushrooms that had been in my fridge WAYY TOO LONG. They were all dried and shriveled but had not yet developed any mold or anything. Then I throw in a few pats of Earth Balance to taste and maybe a sprinkle of salt and pepper.So there you have it. Sort of an everything but the kitchen sink rice dish. It tends to be bland, depending on your left overs but it's nice to warm you up and soothe the aches and pains from a cold (or a bad day at work).

Since I bake every night I decided to take some pictures of where I bake... sort of a get out of jail free card for now!

So this is my awesome work station. Notice the anti-SUV sticker and the mock "Gingerbread Man" horror poster... I work in an awesome bakery! Haha I just noticed you can see my book all the way at the end of the table there... I never leave home without a book, it sort of a compulsion of mine. That was Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. If you're at all interested in food culture, slow food, or heirloom vegetables it's a great read. Hell if you just like food a lot it's pretty great to read too.
Hey, did you know bananas split into three equal pieces? Well I sure didn't my husband showed me, I was throughly wowed! I make two coffee cakes, bran muffins, gingerbread muffins, two specialty muffins, 6-8 types of cookies, 3-4 types of scones, a brownie, a trail mix bar, and a specality bar, macaroons, and peanut butter chocolate cookies every day! It's a mix of conventional and vegan baking which is nice, of course I'd rather it be 100% vegan but I'll take what I can get for now! Though I did see a bloody egg yolk the other day and was cemented in my own food choices from that point on. My vegan chocolate chip cookies sold out by 10am last saturday! I was so proud.

Speaking of which...Two dozen of these little guys are on their way to LA California to meet their fate at the hands of some of my buddies. It's a recipe I've been working on forEVER and I think I'll keep it top secret for now... they're perfectly chewy and they just make my heart so happy, I've made probably 5 batches in the last 2 weeks because Ian keeps gobbling them up. But Your Vegan Mom did post a link to a GREAT cookie recipe the other day... try that one out and mess around with it... you'll probably be pretty close to mine :).

Speaking of Your Vegan Mom, I made the recipe for Southern Seitan she posted the other night... it was delicious.This southern girl was disturbingly happy with the results. It was delicious to say the least.

I hope everyone is enjoying their spring! Melisser The Urban Housewife is visiting my part of the world this week and it looks like we'll be hitting up the Saturday market in Portland... I hear rumbles of vegan elephant ears that just make my heart pitter patter.

4 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Dang, how long does it take you to bake that much?! I'm a slow poke it seems!
I hope this weekend works out! I'm looking forward to it.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hahah you really didn't know the thing about the banana? I always eat things in a strange way, and when I eat bananas I eat them 1/3 at a time. Lol!

Holly said...

Oh man, I lovvveed Animal, Vegetable, Miracle! You should start a garden, I love mine. It's my favorite thing to do. As soon as I get home from work I go straight to the backyard. Love it!

trina said...

Oh good! It's always a relief to hear that a recipe works for someone besides me!